Thursday, July 25, 2013

Manzanita, OR

Dave and I said a reluctant goodbye to our blogger friends, Sue and Doug, on Wednesday morning.  There's nothing like camping for five nights with new friends and getting to know them better!  We are already planning our next camping trip with Sue and Doug!

Sue and Doug's dog, Tucker, was all "tuckered out" by evening.  IMG_1121

Our site, #C46, at Nehalem Bay State Park in Manzanita.IMG_1122

Sue and Doug's site, #C43, was right across from our site.IMG_1123

Their orange Jeep Wrangler got a lot of attention, especially from Oregon State University Beaver fans!  Yes, it's orange!  Doug saw a cute tee-shirt that said, "I see orange people."IMG_1131

We hiked over the sand dunes to get to the beach from our campsite, but I didn't take my camera because of all the blowing sand.  Later we drove to town, Manzanita, where the beach is much more accessible.IMG_1127

IMG_1128

IMG_1129 IMG_1126

Dave and I drove to Garibaldi to eat at Fisherman's Korner.  But, alas, it is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  Our second choice was Pirate's Cove, just north of town, but there was road construction (actually it was tree-trimming) right where the restaurant was located and we didn't want to mess with the traffic.  So we ended up in Rockaway Beach, just north of Garibaldi.

Old Oregon Smokehouse advertised "the best clam chowder on the Oregon Coast", so we ate there.  I had a small cup of chowder and fish and chips, and Dave had chicken strips.  Their clam chowder was delicious, but without more taste testing, I can't say for sure that it was the best on the entire Oregon coast.  IMG_1130

On Wednesday morning, we drove the 45 miles from Manzanita to Astoria.  We'll be staying at Lewis and Clark Golf and RV Resort.  This afternoon, our friends, Tom and Cindi, arrived and are camping right next to us.  Let the fun continue!

8 comments:

  1. How great to be able to camp with blogging friends. Love camping near the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet Tucker must have found a swimming hole somewhere. Glad you all had such a nice time. Have fun in Astoria - love that place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried clam chowder, and I'm a little squeamish about doing so. Glad you had a good time with Tucker and Company. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is hard to imagine Tucker not full of energy:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of Tucker where he looked so peaceful and mellow! LOL He must have really had a lot of fun, for sure. Glad you were able to enjoy some time with Doug and Sue. Garibaldi was a place that I used to have to go to often in my old job. Loved it up there in that area. Keep sampling the clam chowder and keep a journal, then you'll know which is the best from your point of view, at least!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tucker being tuckered is the best kind of Tucker!
    we had so much fun with the two of you..many thanks for sharing a small part of your vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nehalem Bay State Park was one of our favorite parks in Oregon. There were tons of kids there when we were there but they never bothered us at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you to still be traveling the coast. We got back on Wednesday. Your opening photo just sends me! Oh to be back there again. The weather was so perfect, and we all enjoyed our time on the coast. I hope the good times will carry you through the whole week.
    Jackie B

    ReplyDelete