Monday, July 8, 2013

Astoria Column and Ilwaco Fireworks

One item on my bucket list was to climb to the top of the Astoria Column,  all 164 steps.  On July 6, 2013, I did it!  The view from the top is spectacular, even on a cloudy day.  The column was built in 1926 and is Astoria's highest point.

See that deck at the top of the column?  I was there!IMG_0970

Views from the top:IMG_0964

IMG_0966

IMG_0965

IMG_0968

The history of the area can be seen in the etchings along the column.  Click here to see a closer view of each of the scenes depicted.IMG_0974

The afternoon of July 6, we drove out to the Hammond Marina to look at boats. No ships came by, but I liked the looks of this sailboat.IMG_0976

In the evening of Saturday, July 6, the town of Ilwaco, Washington presented their fireworks.  It gave me another chance to practice my photography.

The Ilwaco marina when we first arrived.IMG_0980

Later in the evening.IMG_0983

IMG_1016

IMG_1025

IMG_1034-001 IMG_1057

IMG_1060-001

As we left Astoria on Sunday morning, we noticed that the Queen of the West Sternwheeler that we had seen a week ago in Clarkston was now docked at the Columbia River Maritime Museum. 

We arrived back home on Sunday afternoon after a good three-week circle trip around Washington--Bothell, Marymount, Winthrop, Wenatchee, and Clarkston, and ending up in Astoria, Oregon.

8 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Fireworks is always a challenge to get right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fireworks pictures!! Good on you for going to the top of the column!!! I also did it in April, one thing I have wanted to do in forever and did it!!! Yea, us!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on making it to the top of the Tower. You got some beautiful pictures from up there. Great pictures of the fireworks too. Glad you had such a nice trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a nice day for the Astoria Column. The day we were there it was so foggy, we couldn't even see the top of the Column. What a beautiful view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting good fireworks pictures is a challenge, and you did just fine. Question about Astoria Column -- wouldn't the top of Mt. Hood be just a little higher than the Column? There must be a modifier in there that makes the "Oregon's highest point" true. Suzy was looking forward to climbing the column this year, but our change of plans (which have changed yet again) cancelled that feat of her feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the correction, Jerry and Suzy. I've updated the blog to reflect "highest point in Astoria".

      Delete
  6. Yay for you, Carol! Congrats for climbing to the top of the tower. I'm not sure I would've even wanted to undertake such an effort. And the reward was that great panorama of Astoria. What an experience!
    See you tomorrow.
    Jackie B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome vies from the to of Astoria Column...my hat is off to you for the journey...YAY!

    ReplyDelete