Friday, July 5, 2013

Celebrating the 4th of July at the Beach

Our celebration started when we arrived in Astoria, Oregon on July 2.  The weather was cool, as we had hoped, so our spirits were high.

That afternoon, we went for a walk along the Warrenton Waterfront Trail.  We saw this grain ship heading upriver along the Columbia River. 

The paved waterfront trail.IMG_0873

The Ansac Amity grain ship was headed up the Columbia River.  After a short stop in Astoria, it's destination was Vancouver, WA.IMG_0872

The Astoria bridge connects Oregon with Washington.  It's tall so that the ships can pass underneath.IMG_0853

On Wednesday, July 3, we walked along the Astoria Riverfront Trail.  This coast guard ship is docked at the Columbia River Maritime Museum when it's not out in the water.IMG_0883 IMG_0885

IMG_0890 For those of you who are familiar with this area, yes, the Astoria Bridge is still being painted!IMG_0886

At my request, Dave posed for a picture in front of a propeller on display at the maritime museum.IMG_0902

The Astoria Riverfront Trolley is always fun to see!IMG_0901

The evening of July 3, Dave and I attended a free concert at Astoria's historic Liberty Theater which featured patriotic music presented by the North Coast Symphonic Band.  Who doesn't enjoy some Sousa marches, along with other fine music, at this time of the year?  Dave and I fit right in with the mostly white-haired audience.

On the 4th of July, we went for another walk on a different part of the Warrenton Waterfront Trail.  When it was time for fireworks, we decided to head to Long Beach, WA, instead of viewing the Astoria fireworks.  Long Beach is "the" place for fireworks.  We parked on Sid Snyder Street and placed our chairs on the south end of the Long Beach boardwalk.

Our chairs are on the bottom right of the picture.IMG_0915

This part of the boardwalk (looking north) was empty when we got there around 8pm, but it filled up fast.IMG_0914

Many people headed to the beach to watch the fireworks and set off their own fireworks.IMG_0917

We saw fireworks the whole time we waited for the "official" fireworks to begin, even before it was dark.  Lots of money was burned up that night! 

My new camera is supposed to be able to take pictures of fireworks, but I need to learn how to do it!IMG_0943-001

IMG_0944-001

This morning, July 5, Dave and I took a drive to Seaside, Oregon and walked along the Promenade.  Cleanup was happening after the Seaside fireworks show.IMG_0956

Along the Seaside PromenadeIMG_0952

One of the paths through the dunes to the beach.IMG_0950

This picture of the Seaside Promenade flag sums up my feelings about the celebration of our nation's birthday!IMG_0955

7 comments:

  1. Great pictures. Sounds like you and Dave are enjoying your time on the coast. Glad you had a nice fireworks show. We just had idiots over at the school next door until about 2 a.m. lighting off illegal fireworks and mortar rounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a kid, my sister and her family took me with them to Long Beach, WA to celebrate the 4th of July. My brother-in-law and I had fun lighting firecrackers and tossing them out on the sand...up until I somehow lit off all of the fire crackers I had in my shirt pocket! I sure pulled that shirt off fast, believe me!! Glad you enjoyed your Holiday. Tell Dave he looks like a real "prop head" in that photo!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome weekend Carol. Looks like you and Dave had a great time, and your pics are really good...even the fireworks. Enjoyed the read and experience through your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure sounds like a perfect time to me. However, I'm with Donna K. The idiots here in our neighborhood shot off fireworks until 1:30 this morning. And they had those ones that do nothing but make that big bang. Hate those things and so does Skittlez.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice way to celebrate the holiday! are you heading home for a bit before we all meet up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday USA indeed! Incidentally, your fireworks pictures are fine. I took YEARS to learn how to do that with my Canon Rebel, which of course I didn't take out to our local fireworks show.

    ReplyDelete