Thursday, January 26, 2012

Navy Seals? No, Elephant Seals!

 IMG_2308-1

Today was a beautiful day--temperature in the mid-70s, relatively little wind, plenty of sunshine.  Dave and I drove north on Highway 1 and visited the elephant seal rookery. 

IMG_2320

About 17,000 of these large marine mammals migrate thousands of miles, twice a year, to the central California coast for birthing, breeding, molting, and rest.  We happened to be there at a prime viewing time.  Some of the newborns were only a few days old.  After they are weaned, they leave their mothers, never to see them again.  IMG_2326

The Piedras Blancas rookery, where we visited, is located on Highway 1 seven miles north of San Simeon, west of Hearst Castle.  A few miles south of there, we saw some zebras on the hillside, but we didn't have  a chance to stop and take a picture. 

Waves hitting the rocks while we viewed the seals.IMG_2327

Last night Dave and I had the pleasure of attending a performance by the Peking Acrobats.  The troupe was formed in 1986 and we saw them  perform about that time at Sea World in California.  It was an amazing performance both then and now.   Acrobatics, juggling, and balancing acts make for spectacular entertainment.  I enjoyed this show much more than the Mystere Cirque de Soleil show that we saw in Las Vegas. 

I found the following pictures of the Peking Acrobats on  the internet.Peking Acrobats 3 Peking Acrobats 4

Peking Acrobats 2

One of the highlights was the "Balancing Chair" act.  Spectacular!  The performer received a standing ovation.  Those chairs are balanced on four wine bottles.  He had to perform on the floor, rather than the stage, because the stage wasn't high enough.  I held my breath because I thought he might topple over into the audience!

Peking Acrobats 1

Tickets were pricey at $44 each for seniors, but not a bad price if we only have a chance to see the Peking Acrobats every 26 years! Clark Auditorium, where they performed, is located in Arroyo Grande which is near Pismo Beach. I highly recommend the Peking Acrobats as a wonderful family-friendly show!

6 comments:

  1. We saw these acrobats when we were in OK. They were so fantastic. Definitely worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a show like that in Branson, but we never have gone to it. Maybe we should check it out!!!

    I guess a Mother could only love those seal faces... Looks like they were having a definite lazy day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Acrobats and seals, what an interesting combination. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy watching the seals, but the smell:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. We stopped there a couple of years ago but it wasn't prime time. We saw quite a few seals but not like you did. What a sight.

    Glad you got to see a great show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rats... you had me going with the Navy Seals... ;-)

    ReplyDelete