Tuesday, June 21, 2011

West Yellowstone, Montana

IMG_9858 What a great town this is.  I like the touristy western shops, and all the things there are to do in this town.  The town is flat, so if we have time, we can ride our bikes.

We got to Wagon Wheel Campground at 1 pm, had a very friendly check-in with Ken, the owner/manager (not sure which).  We have site #2 which is the largest site they have and it suits us just fine.  Full hookups, even 50 amp, pull-thru, free wifi, and excellent Verizon cell signal, but we couldn't get a satellite signal because there are too many trees.  But the trees are nice.  They give us some shade and provide privacy between us and the other sites.  IMG_9848

This park is located in town, about 6 blocks from the entrance to the national park.  I drove around and explored the town and checked out our first choice RV park, Yellowstone Grizzly.  It's very nice and we'll spend 2 nights there next week, but it also costs more than $20 more each night than this park.  We paid $241.73 for five nights, which included $22 for tax. 

On the way to West Yellowstone: IMG_9838

We walked over to Kiwi Burgers for a late lunch.  Dave had a buffalo burger and chips (fries) and I had calamari rings on top of a beef burger.  Yum!  It was the first time that I had ever tasted calamari and at first I was expecting it to taste like an onion ring because that's what it looked like.  By the end of the meal, I thoroughly enjoyed the taste of the calamari.  Now I need to have it sometime when it's not breaded.

Getting closer!IMG_9843

We're still feeling the altitude here (6561) so we took it easy today and went to the IMAX theater.  We saw the Yellowstone movie which we liked but didn't rave about, and the Lewis and Clark movie which we really liked because it gave a lot of detail about their trip. 

Driving into the west entrance of West Yellowstone:IMG_9846

Now Dave is fending off mosquitoes and grilling us some New York steak that we brought with us.  Life is good!

We haven't seen any wildlife yet, so I took this picture outside the Grizzly and Wolf Center which we plan to visit another day.IMG_9855

Tomorrow we plan to visit Old Faithful.

5 comments:

  1. nice place to park for a bit!..enjoy your visit to Old Faithful tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pics! I can't wait to visit Yellowstone...I'll keep your posts handy for when we plan our trip!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures. Can't wait to see pictures from the park. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your pictures. Do you have any more pictures of the rv park you are staying in (for future refernce)? I will be interested to see your comments on the differences in the two RV parks you are staying in and if the price difference was worth it. Thanks for sharing all your info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We loved West Yellowstone...the streets are so wide there and you are so right, it is very flat and a good place to bike ride.
    Enjoy your time there!

    ReplyDelete