...was a bust! We knew the road wasn't completely plowed yet, so that's why we planned a stay at both the east and west entrances. Before the trip, I kept checking online to see what progress had been made on the plowing. It looked like all but a small section was open.
But when we got here yesterday, we found out that even though almost all the road had been plowed, the turnouts hadn't been plowed yet, so there was no place to turn around on the road, thus, the road is only open for 16 miles on the east side and about that far on the west side.
We drove on the road as far as we could, but it was too wet, cold, and windy, to walk on any of the trails and we weren't inclined to hike down the steep trails anyway. I hopped out of the car to take some pictures, and took some from the car.
That's Saint Mary Lake with small Goose Island in the middle. I'm a little confused about which mountain peak is which, but they all have names.
In the midst of writing this blog, the USB ports on my computer all decided to die, so I am not able to use my mouse. The keyboard touch pad and I do not get along, so it's a painstaking process to put a blog together. I hope to share the details and pictures of our trip to the Many Glacier area of Glacier National Park but I'll save that for tomorrow.
I like the view of Saint Mary Lake with the fog, clouds and Goose Island. Hope things work out better tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful country!
ReplyDeleteCarol, your pictures make it look like the weather is nicer than Dave's pictures. Probably because you're on the "Going To The Sun" Highway. Donna wants to do that some time. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeletetoo bad about the road conditions..but you got some nice pictures anyway!!..hope tomorrow is better for you both!!
ReplyDeleteYour pictures of St. Mary Lake brought back some good memories for us. One of my favorite pictures was taken about 6am, looking our over the lake, with a small sailboat moored just off shore. That was back in film days, and I can no longer find the original file. Daughter Deb has a poster-sized enlargement on her living room wall. While we are at her home this weekend, we may steal it back while she's not looking.
ReplyDeleteI hope there's no slippy-slidy for you up there in all the cold. This experience of being in one of this Continent's most magnificent regions must be mind-expanding for you and Dave. How small we are if we never get to experience such beauty. Thanks for the photos, providing a glimpse.
ReplyDeleteJackie B.
Reviewing all your posts about GNP. Looking forward to seeing you and Dave.
ReplyDelete