Donna K, you are the lucky winner of the "name that picture" contest. You have won a chance to see this feature for yourself when you and Russ visit Yellowstone in September! You are absolutely correct, that was a picture from the Mud Volcano. Here's the whole picture:
Dave and I finally wised up and entered the park earlier today. We got to the entry at 8:30am and didn't have put up with any traffic jams. We drove the 14 miles to Madison in 20 minutes, a new record for us.
Today we headed north to Mammoth Hot Springs, then on to Tower Junction, east to the Lamar Valley, back to Tower, south to Canyon, west to Norris, and back to Madison and then our home-away-from-home at West Yellowstone. Dave put a map on his blog so check it out if you want to visualize our route.
I'll let the pictures do most of the talking. First, Mammoth Hot Springs, which we were surprised to find was mostly dormant and dry.
Liberty Cap, a dormant hot springs cone
Elk hanging out at Fort Yellowstone
On the way to Roosevelt we saw a coyote hunting along the road.
Wildflowers at our picnic stop in the Lamar Valley
Headed towards Tower Fall, took the Calcite Springs Loop Trail and got a great view of the Yellowstone River.
Our first-ever view of Rocky Mountain big horned sheep!
We were pretty tired by now, but we made one last stop at Artists' Paintpots.
great picture tour today!!!
ReplyDeleteWOW...I won, I won!!! I WILL go see all those sights in September LOL!!!
ReplyDeleteToday you went someplace we have not been before. We did not make it to the Lamar Valley last time - I forget why now! Mammoth Hot Springs looks much the way we remember it.
I really enjoyed all the pictures today. So glad you and Dave are having so much fun.
All the pictures are great, as usual, but love the one of the periwinkles. They were my Mother's favorite flower. Thanks for the memories.
ReplyDeleteSUPER AWESOME PICTURES!!!
ReplyDeleteLiberty cap = Lot's wife.
Jackie B.