Monday, January 6, 2014

Bakersfield, CA

Dave and I have been enjoying our stay in Bakersfield, California.  The city gets a bad rap since it’s not a destination.  But for us, it’s been a good place to hang out for a while.  The daytime temperatures have been in the mid-60s and we’ve had sunshine every day.  The nights are bit cold with temps in the mid-30s to low 40s. 

One of the ponds at Park at River WalkIMG_2011

We rode our bikes on the Kern River bike path. This is another excellent bike path with no streets to cross.  We had to drive to this bike path but were able to park the car at the Park at River Walk off of Stockdale Highway.  On Saturday we rode northeast on the path and today we rode southwest.  We rode about twelve miles round trip each time.

Amphitheater at Park at River WalkIMG_2012

Oil well along the bike path—not a sight we see every day!

IMG_20140106_124429_642

We’ve done some errands while we’ve been in Bakersfield.  On Friday I had to go to Kaiser to get a pro-time lab test done.  I take a blood thinner, so my blood needs to be checked every few two to four weeks.  After the lab test, I got my hair cut at Great Clips, a chain that I use at home for haircuts.   

IMG_1928

Sunday morning I drove across town and shopped at my favorite grocery store, Winco.  Bakersfield is building a new Winco that will be located about three miles from Bakersfield RV Resort where we stay when we’re here.  I like to stock up on food before we go to Pismo Beach because the prices are higher at the beach.

One of the historic houses, Howell House, was being painted.IMG_1933

Costco is a couple of miles from here, and we’ll gas up our motorhome and tow car before heading to the beach.  Walmart is about a mile away, and we always seem to need some things from there.

Lopez Hill House

IMG_1932

On Thursday, January 2, Dave and I visited the Kern County Museum and Pioneer Village which is located north of downtown on Chester Street.  We had been here many years ago and more buildings have been added since then.  The Museum sponsors a Christmas Village each year and many of the pioneer buildings were decorated inside and out for Christmas.  It was a little incongruous to see the pioneer buildings from the late 1800s all gussied up with electric icicle lights and Christmas trees. 

Log Cabin with icicle Christmas lights.IMG_1941

We were at Kern County Museum in the daytime, but this hay ride looked like it would be fun during the nighttime Christmas festivities.IMG_1947

It’s always nice to see a nativity display.  They are getting rarer and rarer.IMG_1938

Clock tower at Kern County MuseumIMG_2008

Tomorrow, Tuesday, we’ll finally arrive at Pismo Coast Village for our two-month stay!  We’re all stocked up and ready to go!

7 comments:

  1. I'd sure like to see mid 60's right about now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is very strange to put lights on an old cabin.

    Glad someone is reporting warm weather. Houston is downright freezing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that town:) Sure would be happy with those temps at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. safe travels to Pismo Beach!! enjoy the sunshine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bakersfield is an interesting place. My Dad's sister and one of his brothers lived there for many years. Visited the family on more than one occasion. Hope you're all stocked up now and about ready to roll towards Pismo.
    Have a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the looks of those historic houses. We used to go to Bakersfield when I was a kid - usually for a "camp meeting" of one sort or another. It was always dusty. It's changed a lot in the intervening years and I sure do like the oranges they grow there. Safe travels to Pismo and have a wonderful time there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the look of Historic homes...such class. Wish we were in the 60's as it got down to 8 last night and high of 29 today...and we are a little south of Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete