Our sister-in-law, Pam, visited us a couple of weeks ago. She lives in the Sacramento, CA area and is the wife of Dave's brother, Terry, who passed away from cancer in December, 2008, at the young age of 57. One of the places we like to take visitors is for a ride along the Columbia River Gorge, culminating with a stop at Multnomah Falls.
The Columbia River Gorge area runs between Interstate 84 on the Oregon side, and State Highway 14 on the Washington side. The Historic Old Scenic Highway is located just to the south of I-84. The old highway was built between 1913 and 1922 and is now a historic landmark. In 1926 the road became part of the then-new United States highway system, US Hwy 30.
There are several waterfalls and scenic areas along this route, all of which are now part of the Oregon State Parks system. First we stopped at Chanticleer Point, also known as Portland Women's Forum State Scenic Viewpoint.
Pam poses at Chanticleer Point.
Our next stop was Crown Point, where we visited Vista House, a memorable landmark along the Historic Highway. It was built in 1918 as “an observatory from which the view both up and down the Columbia could be viewed in silent communion with the infinite.”
The western view from Crown Point. That steam/smoke in the very top of the photo is the paper mill in Camas, WA.
The eastern view. That's Beacon Rock in Washington way the distance in the top middle of the picture. You can also see I-84 down below.
After paying our respects to Vista House, we left Crown Point and traveled further east along the old highway. This scenic area has lots of places to stop along the way. Don't try taking a big motorhome on this highway, though--it's quite narrow in spots.
The historic old highway is a scenic drive. This route is popular with bicyclists.
We skipped some of the waterfalls that aren't visible without a hike, and stopped at Latourell Falls.
Then it was on to our destination for the day, Multnomah Falls, the highest waterfall in Oregon, and the second highest in the nation.
We hiked up the paved path to the bridge above the bottom part of the falls.
The hike continues to the very top of the falls, but we took our pictures from a little ways past the bridge.
Looking from the bridge back down to the main visitor area.
Dave, Pam, and I enjoyed eating lunch at the historic lodge at Multnomah Falls. The lodge was completed in 1925. Besides the restaurant, the lodge contains a state park information center and a gift shop.
My photo of the lodge, taken 9/19/11
Below is an online photo that I found of the lodge, showing the fall colors, and the waterfall in the background.
We in the Portland area are lucky to have this scenic area located near enough to enjoy on a day or half-day trip!
Great shot of the falls with the folks on the bridge. What a gorgeous spot! :)
ReplyDeleteSo much fun - we were there last year and I love taking another trip to see the waterfalls. They are just incredible.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures. I just love that area. Hope you and Dave had a great time. The Gorge is such a gorgeous area.
ReplyDeleteWe would love to see the waterfalls nice pictures..
ReplyDeleteMultnomah Falls is beautiful, and I really like the view from Chanticleer Point. Such a wonderful place to visit and experience. You captured the falls very nicely in your pics.
ReplyDeleteSpendid pics make me want to go there. K
ReplyDeletewhat a great day for a tour in your own neighbourhood!!..nice pictures!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful scenic trip you took us on in this post. It is breath-taking, and I thank you for sharing it with us.
ReplyDeleteLove this area too! Hubby and I hiked to the top 24 yrs ago when we were first married but don't think I could make it now because of the bridge. My fear of heights has gotten worse over the years, LOL! Glad you had time to spend with your SIL. I'm sure she appreciates it much! Cheers! ~M
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun trip, we have stopped there only once many years ago. Your descriptions and pictures make me want to go back again.
ReplyDelete