Thursday, March 10, 2011

Fort Flagler State Park, Washington

Dave and I have been home from Pismo Beach for 2 1/2 weeks, and I've been itching to get back out in the motorhome again.  After many negotiations with the Norcold, they finally agreed to replace the cooling unit in our motorhome refrigerator.  Now that it's repaired, it's time to take another short trip. 

The weather forecast is for rain, rain, and more rain, but somehow I don't mind the rain as much when we're on a trip and out exploring new areas.  We decided to  drive north to Fort Flagler State Park.  The park has a seasonal camping area that opened up on March 1 and closes again on October 31.  We were here on a day trip last February when we were staying in Port Townsend, and saw that the campground looked like a fine place.  I'll take some pictures if and when it stops raining.  In the meantime, here are a couple of maps to show you where we are.

Washington StateFort Flagler

A more detailed view of the location of Fort Flager.Fort Flagler location 

An online spiel about the fort:

Fort Flagler State Park is a 784-acre marine camping park surrounded on three sides by 19,100 feet of saltwater shoreline. The park rests on a high bluff overlooking Puget Sound, with views of the Olympic and Cascade Mountains. Many historic buildings remain at this 19th-century-established military fort. This historic fort offers gun batteries to explore and guided heritage tours. Panoramic views of surrounding mountains and Puget Sound add to the attractions.

10 comments:

  1. A trip is good!! Hope the rain lets up so you can get those pictures. Glad your frig got fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I volunteered at Fort Flagler the first few months I was on the road in 2006. I really enjoyed this park even though I got frozen in by a horrible ice storm for three days when I was supposed to leave. My volunteer site overlooked the sound. What a glorious view that was for a month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. have fun at Fort Flager..we have driven by but never stopped..can't wait for the photo tour!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We drove out to Fort Flagler SP last Fall when we were staying in Chimacum. It's one of our favorite areas!!

    Enjoy your visit...hope the rain lets up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great place -- can't wait to see the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not familiar with Fort Flagler Carol, so will be looking forward to your pictures and the history too!

    John
    relaxedrush.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. We'd love to be up there with you, but right now -- duty calls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would Love to have an apt on the beach, envy you that experience!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you got your fridge fixed. Looking forward to your great pictures of your latest adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We drove around there when we visited that area! I can't for the life of me remember where we were camped at... I wonder if that means something......

    We'll be back this summer!!!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete