Friday, November 5, 2010

Maryhill Art Museum

Maryhill Art Museum is located on a hill above the Columbia River, just south of Biggs Junction, where U.S. Highway 97 crosses I-84.   The museum entrance fee is $7 per person, but the grounds may be viewed free of charge.  One day I viewed the outdoor sculpture garden, and another day I visited the inside of the museum.  Since flash photography was not allowed, I decided not to take any pictures inside the museum.

Maryhill Art MuseumIMG_7350-1

This chateau-style museum was built by Sam Hill for his residence.  He didn't actually ever live here, though, because his wife, Mary, did not like the weather in the northwest and moved back to the east. 

Sam Hill

IMG_7307

In addition to building Stonehenge and Maryhill Museum, Sam Hill also built the Portal Peace Arch in Blaine, WA, which marks the boundary between the USA and Canada.  He also built the historic Columbia River Highway, which is still used today and parallels I-84.

Entrance to Maryhill Museum

IMG_7316-1

The art museum contains various exhibits--Lewis and Clark, Native People of North America, sculptures and drawings by Auguste, Rodin, a section about Loie Fuller, and many items from Queen Marie of Romania, who was a friend of Sam Hill's and came to the dedication of the museum.  Also included was a section called Theatre de la Mode, with small doll-like models of fashions from 1946 Paris, and a special exhibit of graphic arts. 

My favorite, however, is the ongoing exhibit of chess sets from around the world.  Those were all works of art.  One of the most striking chess sets was not because of its ornateness but because of its eerie message.  It was from 1926 Russia and was titled Socialists vs Capitalists.  The Socialist chess pieces were robust, healthy looking citizens, and the Capitalist pieces were sick-looking people wrapped in chains.  Very eerie portrayal.  I looked at that for a long time and thought, how interesting that socialism vs capitalism is very much in the news again today in 2010.  If you have to guess which side I'm rooting for, you don't know me very well!

The grounds of the museum are relaxing and peaceful.  Below are pictures of some of the outdoor sculptures.IMG_7329

IMG_7331

IMG_7333

IMG_7335

Another couple of views of Maryhill Art Museum

IMG_7348

IMG_7352

Part of the garden at Maryhill Museum

pano-1

The view from the museum  looking to the south across the Columbia River Gorgepano-2

8 comments:

  1. Great tour ,Thanks for taking us with you. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great place to visit. I espically enjoyed your descriptions of the Chess Sets. The chateau style building is very impressive too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gardens are beautiful. It looks like a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sculptures. I am with you on the weird chess set!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting place. Next trip maybe we'll find time to visit and look at those poor old capitalist chess pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like an interesting museum to visit, the building and grounds are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the tour!..looks like great place to visit!..love the shot of the entrance bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We visited here a couple of years ago and found it very interesting. Loved the wonderful view of the Columbia River too.

    ReplyDelete