Monday, November 29, 2010

Better Late Than Never

Today was the day we planned to leave home for our trip to California.  We were up and ready to go by 9 am.  When Dave went out to back the motorhome out of the driveway and hook up the car, he noticed that the motorhome had a very flat driver's side front tire. 

Dave put in a call to our Good Sam Emergency Road Service and about five hours later someone came from Les Schwab Tires to remount the tire and put air in it.  We thought that five hours was a pretty long time to wait for service, but at least we were still at home and not stranded out on a highway. 

About 2:30 pm we were able to leave home, but first we had to drive to our nearest Les Schwab dealer that can handle trucks, the one just south of Kaady Car Wash on Mill Plain in Vancouver.  They checked the tire and found that a plastic grommet that goes on the valve cover had cracked.  The service person said that he sees a cracked grommet about once a year, so it's not that common, but does happen once in a while.

Finally around 3:50, we were able to leave Les Schwab, hook up the car, and head south on I-205 along the east side of Portland, OR.  We expected to hit traffic at that time of day, but we had very little traffic the whole way south, so that was a blessing. 

We stopped for the night at Seven Feathers Casino RV Park in Canyonville, Oregon, our intended destination for tonight.  We arrived here around 8 pm, which wasn't too bad considering what a late start we got. 

We took the shuttle over to the casino to get some food since I didn't feel like cooking after our stressful day.  After we ate, we played a penny slot machine and had some fun while winning $7.  I used to say that I wasn't a gambler, but I could get used to winning a few dollars occasionally!

Tomorrow we will continue driving south on I-5 as we tackle the Siskiyou mountain pass and hope to get through there after any snow and ice has melted or been cleared.  Our destination tomorrow night (we hope) will be an RV park in Corning, CA. 

8 comments:

  1. Glad you and Dave are on the road and heading south. At least you were at home and didn't have to wait along some interstate. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you and Dave are on the road and heading south. At least you were at home and didn't have to wait along some interstate. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope todays drive goes smoother they yesterdays. Have Fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the mountain passes are clear sailing for you. Enjoy your trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just wondering where you have been Carol..and here you are!..heading south down the I-5 to the land of sun!!..lucky you and Dave!..have a safe trip!!..it may have gotten off to a rocky start but onward and upward!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun in California, It is getting pretty cold here in Maryland.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo! Five hours is a long time. We had a blowout in Nevada one time, called our road service and Les Schwab was there - from at least 60 miles away - in an hour and a half! Ended up buying six new MH tires PLUS five new tires for the toad! That blew the budget. Hope you have good luck finding the park in Corning -- we have searched the area twice for that park (if it's the same one) without success.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Corning, CA - we have a must stop there - the Olive Pit - Ron does the taste testing and I do the buying.

    Glad you made it to your first destination. Drive safe.

    ReplyDelete