Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Monarch Butterfly Grove in Pismo Beach, CA

One of the things I enjoy seeing in Pismo Beach each winter is the Monarch Butterfly Grove just south of Pismo Beach and a short walk from Pismo Coast RV Resort where we are staying.

IMG_3418IMG_3417

The butterflies arrive in November and depart again in February.  They attract a lot of attention, especially on warm days when they are out flying rather than huddled into bunches.

IMG_3465

One fact that I learned this year about the migrating Monarchs is that they eat milkweed, a plant that is considered poisonous to some other species. 

IMG_3416

It was hard to get pictures of all the butterflies flying around.

IMG_3434

Thousands of butterflies were huddling in clumps.

IMG_3460

IMG_3448

IMG_3408IMG_3416

Dave and I go on lots of walks while we are in Pismo Beach, and our favorite place to walk is along the beach.  One of the coastal walks that we do every year gives us a view of a natural bridge in the rock on the south side of Avila Beach.IMG_3473

And usually we can see people hiking in that area.

IMG_3474

IMG_3478

I think these are bougainvillea flowers.  We used to have bougainvillea bushes in our yard when we lived in Riverside, CA. 

IMG_3477Pretty flowers, but thorny leaves. 

4 comments:

  1. Love those butterfly pictures. The clumps are so thick they look like leaves on the tree. The bougainvillaea are so colorful. Looks like you have a lot of blue sky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always neat to see those butterflies. I hope that they stay for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just wondering how the two of you were doing!
    nice day for a walk and all the butterflies are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice butterfly pictures. The clumping is amazing. The bougainvillea flowers are very widespread in Mexico too.
    Thanks,
    John Bardin

    ReplyDelete