Wednesday, October 8, 2014

South Bend, WA

I visited South Bend, Indiana, home of Notre Dame University, in 1975, but yesterday’s day trip was to South Bend, Washington, located on Highway 101 about forty miles northeast of Ilwaco’s Safari Park.  Dave and I have zipped through the area numerous times, but this time we stopped, went for an hour-long walk, and had lunch before heading back to our cabin.

IMG_3188

This small town is the county seat.  The historic Pacific County Courthouse was built in 1910.  We didn’t take time to go inside the building, but we enjoyed the view peaceful view of the courthouse and the view back down the hill to the river.

IMG_3174

This is a fishing village.  The Willapa River flows into Willapa Bay which flows into the Pacific Ocean.  We saw several boats taking in and putting out their nets across the river.  Oysters are also big business in this area. 

IMG_3183

We ate outside on the patio at the Highway 101 Public House.  No oysters for us, though.  I had clam chowder and Dave had his usual hamburger.  The weather cooperated for our outing.  When we left Ilwaco the weather was cool and foggy, but half-way to South Bend, the sun came out and the temperature reached the low 70s.  It was almost too hot during our walk, but perfect as we sat on the shady patio enjoying our lunch.

IMG_3180

There’s a walking/biking path between South Bend and Raymond which was our intended destination, but we stopped before we got to the path and walked along the river and around South Bend instead.  We never did get to Raymond—we’ll save that for another outing.

IMG_3169World’s Largest Oyster, according to South Bend, WA

IMG_3166Dave is available by phone wherever we go!

6 comments:

  1. I like those world's largest things. Can't imagine eating an oyster that size though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Courthouse. Paul doesn't like oysters at all. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great day trip for you two. That cabin sure is coming in handy lol! Looks like an enjoyable little town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can get from Lebanon to Corvallis, easy, but from Lebanon to the north Santiam was another thing entirely, cutting across the farmland and ending up not at a town but an intersection in the road!! where the Gingerbread House is.... been thru there east to west but never had gone the other direction and still haven't :) as I got lost!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been to South Bend, IN - my aunt and uncle lived there. I hope to visit the PNW one of these years, you always show some nice places on your blog. I think I will be heading east and to the Midwest in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The historic home has such brightly colored grass that would require sun glasses to gaze upon it.
    Don't forget about our rendezvous tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete