Dave is attending the Washington Officials Association (WOA) conference in Yakima, WA. This is the annual conference for all the high school sports in Washington state. Yakima is considered to be a central location so that’s where the conference is held every summer. Dave is giving two presentations on the new observation data system which he is spearheading.
Fire Restrictions at Yakima Sportsman Park
Yes, it’s hot in Yakima during the summer. It reminds me of a summer 32 years ago. That summer Dave and I were living in Riverside, CA, and on a hot August 9, 1982, I gave birth to our elder son, Tim. What a joy it was to watch that precious baby grow into a fine young man and now a father with a wife and two daughters. Happy birthday, Tim!
On our way to the conference in Yakima, we headed north on I-5 and visited our younger son, Jonathan. Dave helped him with a couple of projects relating to the house that Jonathan has owned for almost a year. Yes, we are proud of him, too! We stayed two nights at our favorite Seattle area RV park, Lake Pleasant in Bothell.
While we were in Bothell, we took a day trip to Snohomish, WA. What a great little town! We window shopped at all the antique stores and then ate lunch at the Union Street Bakery. Snohomish has a long, paved multi-use bike path and also a riverfront path that we will have to explore another time.
Snohomish River, Snohomish, WA
On Thursday morning we headed east on I-90 toward Yakima. What a pretty drive that is, even with the slow downs due to blasting and interstate repairs. This year the eastbound lane didn’t have as much construction going on as it did last year when we made this same trip to Seattle then Yakima.
Fly that I saw at one of the state park’s nature areas.
Thursday night Dave gave a presentation to the WOA board of officials from all the sports. On Friday he participated in the annual WOA golf tournament, followed by an awards presentation.
Saturday there were two WOA general sessions and after each general session each sport broke into groups. Dave had another presentation to make to the general group and he tells me that both of his presentations were very well-received.
We are staying at a our favorite place in Yakima, Yakima Sportsman State Park. This is a lovely state park which they faithfully water in order to keep it green. We are in a sunny site, which we prefer because we want room for our motorhome’s slides and we want a clear shot at a satellite signal. They have shady sites available, too, which the tenters prefer. Despite the hot weather, this park is full this weekend. Families are sitting and playing in the shade and running through the sprinklers in order to stay cool. I am sitting in the motorhome with the air conditioning running!
I was able to go on two long bike rides yesterday and today. I went early in the morning before it got too hot. Yakima has a very fine paved multi-use path called the Yakima Greenway. I was able to ride to the Greenway path from the state park. After I finished this morning’s ride, I rode around the state park and took the pictures that you see in this blog.
That looks like a lovely park. I think I would be inside under the AC as well!! Don't like the heat. Hope Tim had a wonderful birthday.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to your son. It has been a long time since I even thought about going to a conference:)
ReplyDeleteMe too - in the RV with the air running. That is a beautiful park and your picture of the fly is really something.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you two have been having a wonderful summer. The Lilly photo is beautiful.
ReplyDeletePlease pass along our happy birthday to Tim.
glad the two of you got away! even if it was somewhat of a 'working vacation'!!
ReplyDelete