Dave is painting the trim on our cabin today. Our weekends have been full with fun activities. Last weekend we had the second of three Safari Association membership meetings, followed by a spaghetti dinner and white elephant fundraiser.
On Sunday afternoon last week we attended an excellent production of “Fiddler on the Roof” performed by the Peninsula Association of Performing Arts. The theater is located on the grounds of historic For Columbia in Chinook, Washington. The matinee was sold out, but we waited and we were able to get two seats together at the last minute.
On Tuesday, I drove from the beach to Woodland to have lunch at the Oak Tree Restaurant with my good friends, Jackie and Diane. After an excellent lunch and a long chat, I headed back to the beach. Dave drove home on Thursday night in order to play golf in Portland on Friday, and then he joined me back at the beach Friday night.
Friday night the rodeo association had a parade through downtown Long Beach. On Saturday afternoon we attended the 69th Peninsula Rodeo.
Sorry about the fence in the rodeo picture below. We weren’t sitting very high up on the bleachers and I didn’t want to stand up and block the view of the people behind us. The trees in the background were gorgeous, and there was a blue sky all afternoon while we were at the rodeo.
Saturday night we attended a concert by the Celtic Fusion group Beltaine, held at the Waikiki Beach Amphitheater at Cape Disappointment State Park.
I didn’t know that Celtic groups wore kilts, but that’s where the “fusion” part comes in—part Irish, part Scottish. They played hammered dulcimers, a marimbala, guitar, flute, penny whistle, and cow bell. The music was excellent and the stories even better.
Kids were listening from the rocks in back of the outdoor amphitheater.
The rest of us sat in more conventional seating.
While we watched the concert, we saw a cargo ship leaving the Columbia River and heading to Korea.
Sunday afternoon Dave was all for resting after our busy week and weekends, but I convinced him to drive with me to historic Oysterville to attend the 3pm Vespers at the old church. Sunday night we relaxed!
And about that sand castle festival—we were so busy last Saturday that we didn’t get down to the beach to see the sand creations. When we went there on Sunday morning, the beach sand castles had all been destroyed, so we didn’t get to see them. The sand creations on 3rd street were still there, though, and we enjoyed seeing those being built from start to finish.
By Monday morning, 3rd Street was clean, with no sign of sand creations, or even any stray bits of sand. We look forward to seeing next year’s sand sculptures!
Whoa, you HAVE been busy! Sounds like a fun kind of busy though. Great pictures. I really liked Long Beach when you took us there. Seems like a nice little town to spend the summer in. Hope it is cooler there than it is here. We're currently at 94 and it will get hotter before evening. Don't like it!!
ReplyDeleteSounds like lots of fun! I am always impressed with the sand art.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you found time to blog. What a fun time you've been having. It is amazing how creative folks can be with a pile of sand.
ReplyDeleteYou have been very busy. I love the photos of the church. So lovely.
ReplyDeletePaul and I love rodeos. I am just amazed what those riders can do with a horse.
Looks like a neat concert. I think that music is so uplifting. It gets my toes a tapin'
Sounds like you had great fun!! The children on the rocks look really enchanted at the concert. I just love the sand art.
ReplyDeleteGood summer fun!
ReplyDeleteglad the two of you are enjoying your summer!!!! miss you both!
ReplyDelete