Yesterday, April 30, was my birthday. I am now old enough to receive social security at the earliest possible date, in other words, 62.
I celebrated the day before my birthday by going out for lunch with my friends, Jackie and Diane, at The Heathman Lodge in Vancouver. Then on Wednesday, Dave and I headed to our cabin (park model) at the beach.
There are always projects to do here—this time it was finishing up some satellite work and installing a router for our computers. These projects were done by Dave and I am happy to be the recipient of his expertise and hard work.
Then today we are having the electricians install an exhaust fan in the cabin bathroom. Maybe now the bathroom mirror won’t get fogged up every time we take a shower. And that’s it for this week’s projects!
Cape Disappointment State Park
After arriving at the cabin yesterday morning, Dave took care of a little client computer work and then we headed for Subway to get our lunch and took it to one of our favorite spots at Cape Disappointment State Park, the parking lot with the view of Cape D Lighthouse. The lighthouse is in desperate need of a paint job, but it’s still a fine sight. This time we saw an incoming ship while we were having lunch.
Then last night, we ate dinner at The Depot Restaurant in Seaview, located between Ilwaco and Long Beach, WA. This used to be the actual depot when people traveled by train from the Portland area to vacation at the beach in Seaview in the late 1800s. The depot has now been turned into a casual fine-dining restaurant. On Wednesday nights during the school year, they cater to the local population and serve hamburgers. And they were excellent hamburgers, although I had a portobello mushroom burger instead of a hamburger and it was delicious, too. We each had the clam chowder, too, which was different than our favorite Splash Café chowder in Pismo Beach, but nevertheless delicious.
1870s era picture of The Depot from the internet:
Guess what? The rain has stopped for a few days and now it’s HOT. Yesterday was a record-breaking day for high temperatures in many parts of Oregon and Washington, and California, too, I hear. Mid-80s temperatures might not sound too bad, but believe me, it was hot in our little cabin with no air-conditioning. Today it’s a little bit cooler and for tomorrow and the following days more rain is predicted along with much lower temperatures.
The not-so-famous Cape Disappointment version of Waikiki Beach, littered with driftwood:
Glad you had a good day.. Any good beach combing?
ReplyDeleteYour pictures remind how I like the coast up there. Perhaps I'll return there in 2015. Happy Birthday!
ReplyDeleteCatching up on blogs (again)... love your tulip photos!... but love the lighthouse even more. It's interesting how blogs evolve from one phase to another.... and how we do too.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! How I long for those days of youth:)
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a really nice birthday!!! Celebrating with family and friends is always special.
ReplyDeleteLove the picture of the lighthouse!! What a beautiful spot to have a picnic lunch!!
Happy, happy Birthday to YOU!!!! I LOVE having April as my birth month and a diamond as birthstone!!! Sounds like the beach was great weatherwise!! Not always so as I am sure you well know, BUT any day at the beach is a good day!
ReplyDeleteglad you enjoyed your birthday!! sounds like it was a great time at the beach!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday. Sounds like a good day of celebrating. I love your statement - These projects were done by Dave and I am happy to be the recipient of his expertise and hard work. That is so true of Jim and me.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday. Sounds like you had a great day.
ReplyDeleteAh-ha! You finally got that portobello burger. Sounds like you had a very nice celebration of your 62nd.
ReplyDeleteJackie
I loved visited Cape Disappointment. Yes, the beach isn't like the ones along the Atlantic coast...lol
ReplyDeleteA very happy birthday wish to you Carol. We are now the same age.