Well, not really--I don't have a dog. But I DO have a new ukulele that I am learning to play, and the tuning of the four strings--G, C, E, and A is known as "My Dog Has Fleas".
After Donna and Russ of Travels in Therapy showed me their ukuleles when we camped together, I realized that I had a yen to make some music, too. Sure, I have a piano at home, but I'm always afraid of offending the neighbors when I pound away on it. And the piano is definitely not portable!
I had bought a ukulele years ago when we were on a trip to Hawaii, but I had sold it during one of our downsizing moves. Donna told me that she got her ukulele at Costco, so that's where I decided to buy mine. The two Vancouver, WA, Costco stores didn't have them in the warehouse, but the Portland store did, so off I went to buy the Ukulele in Oregon.
This particular model has a built-in chromatic tuner which is very handy. Now that I have had the ukulele for three weeks, it stays in tune pretty well most of the time, with only an occasional minor tweak.
I checked out all the ukulele books that were in our library system, including "Ukulele for Dummies". I have worked my way through all of the books, and each book has been helpful in its own way, if only to give me more chances to practice chords, note-picking, and finger-picking.
On Wednesday, we spent the morning with our daughter-in-law, Kiersten, and our two granddaughters, Sophie and Anya. We went to Oaks Park, an amusement park in Portland. They were having their weekly pre-school special, with all the kiddy rides included for $6.50 per child, with adults free. No other rides or concessions were open, so it was nice and quiet and the little ones didn't get inundated by older kids.
Afterwards, we celebrated a belated birthday for Dave (his actual birthday was September 20) by having lunch at Macadam Bar and Grill in Portland. Our son, Tim, was able to join us for lunch since his office isn't far from there.
Happy belated birthday, Dave! Does that mean you don't have to count this one??? Nice uke, Carol. Sounds like you're making great progress. I'm still learning the chords for "Tiny Bubbles" which is the only song Donna will let me sing right now. Perhaps that's because I'm usually way off the notes when I try to sing them, and it doesn't sound right with the uke!
ReplyDeleteWe just watched a CBS Sunday Morning show that had a full feature on the ukulele. It makes me wish I had some talent:(
ReplyDeleteGlad you are making music!! My sis stopped by today and we had an impromptu ukulele session. She is much better so I just watch her fingers. Your header picture is great. the girls are sure growing and so adorable. Happy belated BD Dave.
ReplyDeletehappy belated birthday to Dave!!!
ReplyDeletebetter practise up on the ukulele, for the next campfire session!!!
miss you guys!! hope you are well!!
Your granddaughters are beautiful. I think its great that you are trying out a new instrument. The only thing I ever played was a piano and only for a few years when I was about 10.
ReplyDeleteHAHAHA...what a cute title.
ReplyDeleteWe love Portland. Such a beautiful, clean city.
It looks like everyone had a super time.
Good luck with the ukulele. A very unique talent!