Saturday, August 3, 2013

Another Fall? :(

This time I didn't fall off my bicycle, I fell on to my bike.  Doesn't sound possible, does it?  I was trying to get my bike and myself down off the dike path and back to our campsite at Yakima Sportsman State Park, and the bike fell, and I fell on top of it.  I am bruised, scraped and very sore on my left side, but I'm still here to tell the tale!

The infamous Dike Path, as seen from our campsite, which is NOT where my accident occurred!
IMG_1280

I limped back to the campsite and nursed my wounded body and my wounded pride.  Dave and I are in Yakima for the weekend so that he could attend the WOA (Washington Officials Association) summer conference and golf tournament.  His foursome tied for first place and ended up with third place after the ties were all broken.  The conference speaker this year was Mike Pereira, former vice-president of officiating for the NFL and current on-screen rules analyst for FOX Sports.  That's what Dave was doing on Friday while I was recuperating from my fall.

Yakima can get very hot during the summer, but the weather this time has been great.  The temperature has been in the 70s and 80s, with lows in the mid-50s.  I've been enjoying the blue skies!  IMG_1277

We started this leg of the trip by driving to the Seattle area to see our younger son's new house.  It is, indeed, a very nice house, and we were happy to have a chance to see it and visit with Jonathan.  Seattle traffic was quite bothersome, and we found out that it's even more crowded there in the summer.  Thus, we had to stay at an RV park in Everett that was less then ideal (Maple Grove), even though it looked like the nicest one on the rvparkreviews.com site.  The sites were tiny, unlevel, and the promised WIFI only worked sporadically.  To us, the whole Seattle area seems almost as bad, traffic-wise, as Los Angeles.  Perhaps in a car it wouldn't have been as stressful. 

We knew we were in for a long day when the last rest area  on I-5 before Seattle, at Federal Way, was full, and a car was parked in the last RV spot.  That's one of our pet peeves when we're traveling in the motorhome--cars taking up the RV spots!  Dave was able to carefully back out of that spot, not an easy task while towing a car.IMG_1261-001

Seattle, as seen while our motorhome was traveling north on I-5.  It's a beautiful city, but this trip we appreciated it more in our rearview mirror!IMG_1265-002

Both I-5 and I-405 reported accidents when we left Everett on Thursday morning, so we took Highway 202 through Renton.  That route was slow, with lots of signals, and lots of roadwork.  We finally made it to I-90 near Fall City, only to find that there was lots of road construction on I-90.  We stopped for gas in Cle Elum, and discovered that we could only go west on I-90.  Of course, we were headed east to Yakima.  We planned to have lunch at the rest area just down the road, but it was full (summertime, remember?), so we munched on some pretzels and waited to have lunch after we got to the state park in Yakima. 

We have a beautiful site (#26) at Yakima Sportsman State Park, however the trees block our satellite dish, and we discovered this trip that our new DVR, purchased after our old one got stolen last summer, does not let us watch our recorded programs if the recorder can't get a signal.  Bummer, but we survived not being able to watch more Duck Dynasty episodes!  IMG_1274

This guy visited one of our campground neighbors this morning. IMG_1273

Tomorrow we head for home and we are going to avoid US 97 outside of Yakima which has been closed because of fires in the area.  We are also going to avoid I-84 near Portland as they are doing roadwork.  Thus, we'll take the scenic, but longer Highway 12 route west to I-5 south.  Wish us luck!

11 comments:

  1. The year I stopped in Yakima Sportsmen's State Park, I drove in and drove out. I guess it's improved a bit in seven years.

    Sorry about the spill onto the bike. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have camped at Flowing Lake in Snohomish area a few times. We liked it but we were in a tent and one time in a cabin. Sorry to hear about the bikes spill.. We are looking for a used Rv and look forward to riding my bike. Have you ever stayed at Fort Steven's in Oregon? Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless your heart...you are suppose to "get on" the bike not "fall on" it. I hope your scraps and bruises heal fast!!
    Wishing you lots of luck and beautiful views as you drive the scenic route! Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make that scrapes not scraps...sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you didn't get hurt any worse with the bike spill. I hate cities even when we don't have the RV. Hope the rest of the trip goes smoothly for you. Cars in the RV/truck parking areas are definitely a major pet peeve in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you recover quickly from the fall:) I have never fallen onto my bike, but I have tripped over it more times than I would like to admit:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and Dave have had some ups and downs these last couple of days. I suppose your bruises look worse today than yesterday, but I hope you're on the mend. My poor, dear friend!

    I pray your trip home will be perfect in every way, so we can see you on Wednesday.

    Jackie B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We share the same pet peeve. What is wrong with these people?

    Your site in the State park is gorgeous. I love spots like this. You have a huge yard and still some privacy. Excellent.

    Safe travels my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch! Falling on anything isn't fun (unless it's a couch or a bed), but I can imagine a bike, with all its protuberances, would be REALLY bad. Don't know about Washington State Parks, but Oregon sure has some great ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sorry to hear you took a fall, Carol..darn bike anyway!
    as for the traffic through Seattle and Tacoma?..no thank you.. we almost 'bit the big one' going through there on our way to Twisp! not fun at all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no - that's not good. Hope you are feeling better by now. I don't like the traffic around Seattle either. Wouldn't want to drive it in the motorhome. At least you had good weather in Yakima.

    ReplyDelete