Today's excursion was an 18-mile drive to Ocean Shores. We've been here before, but never when it was so crowded. This is a planned community with a windswept, beachy feel. Driving on the beach is allowed here. There were lots of cars on the beach, mostly parked.
Wall-to-wall cars on the beach? Even though it was crowded, we found a nice spot to sit and eat our picnic lunch. We enjoyed seeing lots of families enjoying their holiday weekend. Kites were flying, kids were digging in the sand, and a few brave ones were playing in the cold Pacific Ocean water. Too soon, we had to leave one of my favorite spots--the beach!
Horse riders were also enjoying the crowded beach.
I liked this kite, an airplane with a rotor.
I also liked this tree, even with all the traffic visible behind the tree. Cars were leaving, and cars were coming. What a lively day in Ocean Shores!
Ocean Shores is on the North shore of Grays Harbor and Westport, where we were yesterday, is on the South shore. Both areas are quite different from each other, and both are worth visiting.
Back in Hoquiam, I drove out to the National Wildlife Refuge which is located near the airport. I took a picture of the colorful sign and started on the trail, but then I decided that I was too tired to finish the trail. Dave and I had gone on a 7.4 mile bike ride around Ocean Shores, and I was all tuckered out.
I will visit the wildlife refuge another time. The migrating shore birds visit this area mostly in the spring and the fall, not necessarily on a busy Labor Day weekend!
We really enjoy Ocean Shores. Warm or chilly. The local Maritime Museum is nice on the other side of the peninsula. There was/is the remains of a sunken ship near the tip also. Lots to explore1 The photos are great.
ReplyDeleteI, of course, will be most interested in your visit to Gray's Harbor NWR when you return there. :)
ReplyDeleteWith beaches like that, I can see why they are crowded. Gerri & I really do like the wildlife refuges.
ReplyDeleteGlad your day was a good one.
Take care!
All those people!! I guess that's why I always avoided the beach on a holiday week-end when I lived back east. That kite was just awesome.
ReplyDeleteBoy, do we remember Ocean Shores! We've been there while camped nearby, and Suzy and I were there one week with my boss and his wife for a training session. It was better while camped nearby! Thanks for the pictures and the story. We'll visit Ocean Shores again one of these years.
ReplyDeletepeaceful and quiet are not words to describe the beach today!!..looks like a major traffic jam!!..glad you enjoyed yourselves!
ReplyDelete