Friday, December 20, 2013

If it's Friday, This Must Be Riverside, CA

Dave and I are having a bit of trouble remembering what day it is.  We can look at our computers and see the date, but knowing the day of the week is another matter.  Somehow, though, Dave always knows when Sunday rolls around, because he never misses watching the NFL Sunday Red Zone Channel.

IMG_1779

We are staying at Rancho Jurupa Regional Park in Rubidoux, just north of Riverside.  This is a wonderful county park.  The Cottonwood section, where we're staying has been newly created with full-hookups, free wifi and cable, and spacious sites, most of which are surrounded by grass.  Each site has a picnic table and a fire ring.  The bathrooms are clean and modern.  Best of all, this is a Passport America park!  Like most PA parks, there are restrictions on weekend, holiday, and summer stays.

Site 235 in Cottonwood area, Rancho Jurupa Park, Riverside, CAIMG_1777

There's another campground next to Cottonwood, Lakeview, which is closer to the two large fishing ponds.  That's where we stayed the first (and only) time we were here in the past in early July, 1990.  It was the first overnight stay that we made after purchasing our very first RV, a Fleetwood Class C Jamboree. 

If you are ever need a place to camp, I highly recommend Rancho Jurupa Regional Park.  They even have cabins that can be rented.  The day use part of the park has a disc golf course, a very nice mini-golf course, a play area and water play area for children, and a camp store.  Click here for more information about the park.

Nearby Mount Rubidoux can be climbed, but cars are no longer allowed to drive along the top.  When we lived in Riverside, the 4th of July fireworks were always launched from the top of this mountain.  Inevitably, the mountain would catch on fire during this process.IMG_1772

On Monday, December 16,  we drove from Bakersfield to Riverside.  We took 99 South to I-5 south over the Grapevine, then 210 East, I-15 South, and finally SR60 East to Rubidoux Blvd and the park.  The traffic wasn't too bad, but some of the highways were in bad shape.  Shake, rattle, and roll.  When we go back to Bakersfield before going on to Pismo Beach, we'll take the back route-I-215 to I-15 to hwy 395 to hwy 58.  It's a little further, but should have less traffic.

Approaching the Grapevine from Bakersfield it was hazy.IMG_1735  IMG_1744

San Gabriel Mountains in the background.  IMG_1752

At Sylmar, civilization and the beginning of mazes of over and underpasses.IMG_1756-002

  At Valencia, even more "civilization"?IMG_1758

More of the San Gabriel Mountains from the 210 highwayIMG_1765

Almost there!IMG_1769

The temperature in Riverside was a balmy 83 degrees when we arrived on Monday.  Yesterday there was a thunderstorm, rain, and colder temperatures.  The temperatures the next few days should be in the upper 60s and lower 70s, with no more rain predicted.  The lows will be in the mid-40s.  We will enjoy the sunshine!

4 comments:

  1. It does sound like a wonderful park.

    I love looking at good-weather photos. All I see out our house window in Ohio is snow...yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thing it is a good thing when I have no idea what day it is:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a nice park - and reasonable too. I hope you are both relaxing and having a lot of fun. Weather sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete