Dave was off playing golf at Spyglass today. His tee time was a little later this morning, so we had a much-needed leisurely morning before starting our day.
After dropping Dave off at the Spyglass golf course and exiting the 17-mile drive at Pacific Grove, I drove around the very scenic Asilomar State Beach. I was surprised that this beach was a no-fee area with lots of places to stop along the way. Asilomar (a-SIL-o-mar) means "asylum" or "refuge by the sea". There is a trail suitable for wheelchairs and bike lanes with fantastic views of the sandy beaches and rocky coves. The ocean off shore is protected as the Asilomar State Marine Reserve, part of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
Also visible from the scenic drive was Point Pinos Lighthouse. This is the view of the front of the lighthouse, which is set back inland a bit.
Back view of the lighthouse, looking out to the ocean:
I found the entrance to the lighthouse around back but its hours were 1-4 and I was there two hours early for the tour. I meant to go back in the afternoon, but I forgot all about it.
Cute mailboxes at the lighthouse.
I then drove north along Lighthouse Drive and found my way to the Old Fisherman's Wharf. I drove out on the wharf and parked long enough to take some pictures of the boats (ten cents for 4 minutes on the meter).
Fisherman's Wharf has a shopping and entertainment area which I decided to skip this trip in favor of spending some time along Cannery Row. I lucked out and was able to parallel park for free along the north end of Cannery Row.
It was easy to imagine the sights and sounds and smells that would have been part of this area during 1920-1940 when sardines were being canned.
Now this area contains tourist shops, hotels, and lots of restaurants. I walked up to the famous Monterey Bay Aquarium which was being inundated with groups of school children. The museum admission is $33/per person, so I passed it up this trip since my parking spot was only good for 2 hours. We had visited this aquarium many years ago when our boys were young and we all really enjoyed it.
The weather today was so perfect that I was not sorry to spend the time outside instead of inside the aquarium.
The following two pictures are things along the street that caught my eye. First, a tall coke bottle recycle can--do you see the hole to insert your can?
And secondly, a sardine can waiting for people to pose behind it for pictures:
And finally, if anyone forgot to buy their expensive Pebble Beach Golf Links souvenirs, here was another store at Cannery Row.
I am posting this blog before I write about yesterday's excursions which were to Carmel-by-the-Sea just south of Monterey and some pictures from Pebble Beach's 17-mile-drive which used to be free but now costs a $9.50 toll unless you are a resort guest. Stay tuned for more about that the next time I get around to posting my blog!
WOW, thanks for the tour. GREAT pictures. That's some pretty expensive parking if you were to stay very long. The shoreline there is so very beautiful. Nice tour of cannery row too. Bet it smells better now than it did back in the day haha.
ReplyDeletegreat tour once again!!..Cannery Row looks like a must see if and when we wind up in California!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your great photos, and the info. What a beautiful day to enjoy a wonderful place. Too bad you have to leave so soon, huh?
ReplyDeleteIt's a good idea to save the museums for a rainy day. Nice pictures of the park and lighthouse. The sardine can is cute.
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice day to be outside. I was in the area back in 1969 when I was in the Army at Fort ord.
ReplyDeleteI can just imagine getting pictures of folks packed in like sardines in that can. I'm always a sucker for those corny photo ops. :) Kind of like finding the World's Largest Sausage in Canada on the way to Alaska.
ReplyDelete