Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Visit to the Elfin Forest

Dave is up on the roof of our motorhome installing a part for the satellite to keep it from moving around in the wind.  I have to stay put in one spot while he's up there in order to not shake the RV.  So I'll take this time to catch up on my blog.

The other night was a clear, warm evening, so Dave and I drove out to the beach to look at the night sky away from the city lights.  The city lights along the beach are pretty, too, but there's nothing like looking at the stars and planets on a clear evening.  We had a great view of the Milky Way as well as some of the constellations and planets.  As we were looking up, we both happened to see a meteor.  I usually am looking in a different spot and miss such sights, but I was glad to see this one.  There's no replay button for something like that!

We are leaving Pismo Beach a week from today and will travel home by way of Monterey (Pebble Beach!), Pleasanton (Livermore), and Sacramento.  We will be staying at the fairgrounds in all three cities. 

We will have been here for two months--twice as long as we stayed last year.  We've seen many RVs come and go, and some  that plan to stay a lot longer than we were here.

One of my favorite walks we took was the Elfin Forest in Baywood, a small town located near Morro Bay.  This was the first time we went on this walk, but it will be an annual event for us from now on.

IMG_2618

The Elfin Forest was built with the donations from a family who lost both parents and a school-aged daughter in a car accident.  The trail is boardwalk most of the way and is marked with signs identifying plants and birds along the way.  Every so often is a larger marker, like this one at the beginning of the trail, telling a story about a Chumash Indian girl who lived here many years ago.IMG_2621 

The Pygmy Oak Forest was one of my favorite stops along the boardwalk path.IMG_2572

The Fuchia Flowering Gooseberry was one of the more colorful plants blooming in February.IMG_2577 

One of the most common plants we saw was the Coast Silver Lupine. IMG_2600

Halfway through the loop walk, we had a good view of the mud flats of Morro Bay...IMG_2605

and iconic Morro Rock looming behind Morro Bay State Campground.IMG_2569

Even in the Elfin Forest, Dave was able to take the time to read an email on his smartphone.IMG_2588

After our walk through the Elfin Forest we drove into Morro Bay and had lunch at one of our favorite casual outdoor food stands, Lil' Hut.  As usual, I had clam chowder and Dave had a hamburger and fries.IMG_2624

While eating our lunch, Dave and I saw what looked to us like the world's smallest boat!IMG_2627

4 comments:

  1. sounds like the two of you are enjoying all the fun that Pismo Beach has to offer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a good time by the seashore. I hope to travel in CA next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you would want to return to that Elfin Forest. That looks like a wonderful walk. Are you happy to be heading home or do you wish you could stay longer? At least you missed the worst of winter here and our last little stubborn snow storms this week. Take care and enjoy the time you have left down there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to spend a day relaxing. That looks like the neatest Forest. I'd love to see that one.

    ReplyDelete